Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Good news: I've already eaten most of my easter chocolate and have settled into a good nauseous feeling.  

Last week at General Conference Elder Holland gave a really beautiful talk about the atonement and Easter.  The church has made a little video about it and put it on their homepage so you can easily find it by going to www.lds.org  

This talk really stood out to me last week during Conference.  Over the past year I have been "privileged" to feel more alone than I ever have in my life.  It's been a crazy 12 months of moving to a brand new city and starting a new life surrounded by people that don't share my beliefs.  I've complained more than once about being lonely--something I had honestly never felt in my previous 22 years on this earth.

But despite my complaints I have had the support of family, friends, classmates, and roommates.  And I knew that they were all supporting me even if they were not physically with me because I could feel their love and prayers.  And most importantly, I have maintained my relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  

So it seems almost silly to me now that I am ever capable of feeling lonely because it is impossible for me to be alone.  I can feel the love that President Monson and his Apostles have for each person on this earth, and especially for me as an individual.  

I can't imagine what the Savior felt before he died.  Before this experience I thought I knew what it was like to be alone.  Now I know what it feels like to just merely think that I am all alone, while still benefiting from the love of others.  If it's possible for me to be sad despite all of the blessings and support I receive, I cannot fathom the strength that our Savior must have had.  One reason that I am grateful for the atonement is because it means that I will never experience true loneliness.

The video is good, it's only like 5 min., and you can eat your chocolate bunny while you watch it.



5 comments:

Jenny said...

Katie, thank you for this heart-felt testimony. That talk by Elder Holland really was inspiring and thought-provoking, and I was touched by the way you related it to your own recent experiences. Happy Easter! I miss you!

Korby Charles said...

What? Miss Danger, with such a serious tone? Actual feelings from her heart? Weakness being revealed? Who knew!? But I like this rare view of you. I could use more of your deep thoughts and sensitivities.

Nicole said...

After such a lovely blog I hate to be the one to point this out....but this is actually your 23rd year of being alive!
Our YWs lesson was on that talk yesterday, I only wish I had known it was a video then!

katie said...

and that is why i said PREVIOUS 22 years

Kyle said...

That was definitely the best talk of the conference. Nice post! Also, you will never be alone because I will always be here ready to snuggle with fatty crackers.