Thursday, April 17, 2008

A time to pout




It's actually happening, somehow I have convinced BYU to give me a diploma.  I guess, if you want to get technical, I can't graduate until I take finals and pay that fine for streaking through the library.  (Don't worry mom, I don't think I will have any trouble passing my finals).  But as this season is upon me, I am feeling cheated out of my exit experience from BYU.  Let me illustrate: times listened to greenday's "Time of Your Life" =0, number of novelty mugs purchased at the bookstore as a keepsake =0, number of slideshows watched that highlight my escapades in happy valley, which are designed to incur the maximum amount of nostalgia =0.  I am sensing a pattern here.  Not only have I missed out on these time honored traditions of self-inflicted sadness and introspection, but I didn't even realize that I've been missing it!  Tuesday was my last day of classes at BYU.  I was sitting in my cell bio class chatting to my group whiel we waited for our professor to come talk to us.  We weren't learning anything that day, just meeting with our groups.  Then my friend asked me how I felt on my last day of BYU.  I hadn't even though about that.  Thanks a lot for reminding me, Chad.  But this wasn't just my last day, this was my last class.  Well, when this second thought jumped into my head I panicked and screamed "EDUCATE ME".  That drew some unnecessary attention.  But it did not merit a powerpoint lecture.  So that was it.  My last class here ended with screaming and embarrassment.  Actually, that does seem about right.  Back to graduation....  Don't get me wrong, I am very excited to move on to something different...a new page in my book of life, if you will.  But I'm sad to think that this whole experience is ending without my real acknowledgment, nonetheless without my permission.  So, goodbye BYU.  You will miss me.  I have been wonderful to you.  And I guess I will miss this place just a little bit too.  Now, if you excuse me, I have a souvenir keychain that plays BYU's fight song to purchase.

NOTE:  This picture was actually taken in England after realizing that I had just stood like a human sardine for 45 minutes to see the Queen, but I was on the wrong side of the building.  But the same feeling applies to this situation today...and that's overwhelming patriotism.
(I'm working on uploading this picture, just imagine me pouting)

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Katie, you are hilarious and BYU will never be the same. I am so excited to see you graduate next week! Was there supposed to be a photo on this post? I didn't see one.