Saturday, January 24, 2009

Nostalgia and procrastination

I can only spend so many hours doing neuroscience homework.  And since my computer is just sitting here on my desk daring me to touch it, I often find myself wasting a lot of time on it.  Today is no exception.  I started going through my pictures, and then I started going through my pictures of my study abroad in Europe.  So now I'm procrastinating and wishing I could go back in time.  Even though I was only gone for a few months, it was such a treat to leave my whole life behind me (i.e. my cell phone).  Why was I so fortunate to have a life that consisted of traveling through the oldest and most amazing cities, studying and learning about incredible art, eating delicious food, and all the while being surrounded by the most amazing and inspired individuals.  Ya, I was pretty lucky.  Anyways, here are a few things I miss:



"The Kiss" by Rodin.  You can see a picture of something, study it, talk about it, even fall in love with it from what you read in a book.  But there are some things that have the power to make your heart stop when you walk into a room and there it is.
I miss reenacting significant events in history, like the destruction of Pompeii, and being the obnoxious Americans.
I miss the intensity.
I miss the random old man from Empoli who I decided to share a bench with.  He only had about 3 teeth, spoke Italian, and he was 93.  I don't remember a lot of conversations I've had, but I think that one will stay with me.
I miss cobblestone.  I miss Brugges, Belgium.  The coolest city I've ever been to.
I miss the people that know exactly what I miss.
I miss the forced romantic moments.
I miss the creativity, the movement, and the genius.
I miss the quiet moments and stray dogs.

No comments: